Experiencing a home burglary can be a terrifying experience. It can take away your sense of security and make you feel vulnerable. And in the case you are home when it happens, your vdery life could be in danger.
Some of these burglaries could be prevented if people avoided some home security dangers. How many times have you put yourself at risk without realizing it? If you stay on top of the list below, most burglars will bypass your home for an easier target.
9 Home Security Mistakes
- Hiding a Key Anywhere Outside. It’s the oldest trick in the book. Isn’t this the first place you would check if you were a burglar? Instead, try giving one to a trusted neighbor or even burying it for safe keeping.
- Relying on the Family Pet. As intimidating as dogs a bark may be, they don’t usually attack intruders. Unfortunately, there is more of a chance that the burglar could injure your pet in the process.
- Having an Untidy Yard. Large bushes, untrimmed trees, and big trash cans left out are signs to burglars that tell them you probably aren’t home much. This makes your home an easy mark. It also gives them easy access to hide where they could ambush you.
- Not Having Enough Outdoor Lights. Dark areas also make great hiding places. Motion sensor lighting can shine a bright light on the burglar so everyone can see they are up to no good on a dark night.
- Leaving Boxes on the Curb. Did you get some large expensive gifts and need to leave the big box on the curb the next day. Congratulations, you just advertised all the perfect new items for a thief to steal. Take the extra time to take them to a dumpster, or cut them into smaller pieces for a trash bags.
- Forgetting to Maintain Your Security System. Be sure to check your security system periodically to make sure it’s in working order. If are an Acom customer, our Secure Test service takes care of this for your with daily testing. If it’s not working properly, then it’s not going to protect you.
- Announcing your Plans to be Away on Social Media. When you post, tweet, or share your vacation plans or activities you are shouting to the entire world that are you aren’t home right now. Wait until you return to share all your fantastic pictures and activities. It makes it less of a chance that you will not come home to a broken into home.
- Leaving the Lights Off While You’re Away. If a burglar is watching your home, it will become obvious when none of the light change. Use lighting modules that can be controlled from your app or set scenes and schedules to have them change automatically to make it appear you are home.
- Not Checking the Mail. The mailbox is a great tool for a burglar to see if you might be on vacation. Keep your shipment dates in mind as well so that you don’t leave boxes on the porch either. Ask a friend or neighbor to check the mail for you as an extra precaution.